Reports to: Creative Director
Spawn Ideas is a fully integrated advertising agency that’s independent and employee owned. Our team of employee owners have “skin in the game” which, along with outstanding benefits and a “work hard/play hard” culture, encourages happy employees who stay. Our success comes from our people, our culture, and our care about the work itself and our clients’ business outcomes. Careers and friends blossom here.
As owners, when the agency succeeds, so do we, which is why there are no sideliners at Spawn. We are bold and resourceful – perpetual adventurers at work and play. Just as we embrace the outdoors in Alaska, we are energized by our work – for the fun of it and the challenge it brings. Our commitment, energy and drive, and desire to climb higher and push harder are fuel for the work we do at Spawn for our clients and their brands.
Advertising Age recognized Spawn with Northwest Small Agency of the Year awards in 2017 and 2018, and with a national, silver, Best Culture award in 2018. We’ve been called Alaska’s “Top Shop” (Adweek Magazine) and one of the “75 Best Places to Work for Millennials.” And Outside Magazine has named Spawn one of “100 Best Places to Work” in America for 10 years in a row.
Won’t you join us? We need a copywriter.
Working closely with art directors and the creative director, the copywriter provides strong conceptual thinking and copywriting skills. He/she develops copy for a full range of marketing ideas from concept through printed/produced materials with an emphasis on creating irresistible creative ideas and execution for our clients. Teamwork is paramount for success in this role as the copywriter will work closely with strategic planners, account managers and others in the creative department to develop a final visual product.
- Are excellent writers
- Able to generate engaging conceptual ideas, alone or with a team, following marketing strategy, audience and brand
- Are engaged, resourceful, well organized, detail oriented and thorough
- And effectively communicate in a clear and concise manner
- Are proactive and able to work independently
- Are goal oriented and assume ownership and responsibility for their work
- Execute creative concepts that are on strategy and appropriate to a variety of channels and audiences including digital, print, radio and television advertising, websites, collateral, public relations materials, and other projects as assigned.
- Work with art directors, creative director, and account executives to do develop creative strategy, conceptual ideas, and executional approach for assigned clients.
- Write copy for key strategic campaigns/projects and new business presentations. Work with creative team to draw up creative budget estimates. May purchase and direct work of vendors, e.g., television and audio production companies.
- Meets predetermined deadlines while juggling multiple assignments.
- Ability to sell work internally and to the client.
knowledge and skills:
Ability to judge and organize information for idea/concept generation. Proven written and oral communication skills. Works well with others. Well-read, articulate and expresses self clearly and concisely. Self-confident and professional.
Portfolio of strong writing samples demonstrating ideas and creativity. Good sense of humor, and highly perceptive and intellectual curiosity.
Self-motivated with a willingness to learn. Ability to prioritize work assignments and meet deadlines. Communicates well with other department members and supervisor. Perseverant and flexible.
education and experience:
College degree in English, advertising or equivalent.
4-7 years or more of writing experience in the field of advertising, with an outstanding portfolio to back it up. Ideal candidate will demonstrate experience in advertising content as well as copy-heavy pieces such as websites or brochures. Of course, we will want to see some killer headlines as well.
Outstanding benefits. Spawn Ideas pays a generous portion of each employee’s insurance premium for the individual and their families. Beyond the basics, employees get an annual activity bonus to encourage participation in walk/run races, or for park passes, camping fees, etc. The Anchorage office is located one block from the Coastal Trail (a popular ski/walk/run trail), and just blocks from salmon fishing right downtown. In Denver, we office in a shared workspace to encourage frequent, collaborative in-person get togethers.
Spawn benefits include being automatically enrolled in our ESOP (employee stock ownership program) plan and 401k, annual performance-based discretionary bonus, medical, dental, vision, paid vacation, and sick days, PAWternity (2 days off with a new pet or to grieve a lost one), company paid holidays and summer and holiday hours programs that allow more time with family and more time enjoying the outdoors.
Spawn Ideas is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We support diversity in the workforce. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for disabled individuals.
Seeing: Able to read reports and use computer
Hearing: Able to hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors, and clients, in person and on phone
Strength and Mobility: Ability to lift at least 10 pounds and mobile enough to perform basic tasks, such as replacing paper in printers, etc.
Other: Must have a valid driver’s license and access to personal transportation.