Spawn is a fully integrated advertising agency that’s independent and employee owned (ESOP) which means everyone on our team has “skin in the game.” There are no sideliners at Spawn, just a bold and resourceful team with enough courage to summit any challenge. We know that when the agency succeeds, we succeed as individuals.
Spawn is an agency that punches above its weight. In both 2017 and 2018, we were Ad Age Small Agency of the Year winners – as a standout northwest agency and, nationwide, for great culture. And we’ve been named one of Outside Magazine’s 50 Best Places to Work in America for nine years running.
We’re looking for an art director.
The Art Director is responsible for guiding the creative development and execution for the branding, advertising and graphic design for our clients. This position will work closely with other art directors, copywriters, and the creative director to develop a full range of marketing solutions – from the initial idea through printed/produced materials with an emphasis on creating dramatic results for our clients. Teamwork is paramount for success in this role.
- Concept and provide graphic design/art direction that is on strategy and appropriate to a variety of channels and audiences including print, online and television advertising, public relations collateral and other projects as assigned.
- Work with Creative Director, Copywriters, and Account Service in developing creative strategy and executional approach for assigned clients.
- Produce and direct production of all mechanical work required to complete client print projects.
- May purchase and direct work of vendors, e.g., photographers, illustrators, printers and video production companies.
- Keep abreast of technical requirements and developments in printing, audio/video production, photography, and illustration.
- Meet predetermined deadlines while juggling multiple assignments at once.
- Creates work that is original, impactful, and relevant to the overall brand strategy – continually raises
- Assumes responsibility for working within budget and time estimates and for communicating specific problems to the Department Manager.
- Have effective communication skills
- Have solid business and advertising industry understanding
- Are able to work efficiently in a fast-changing environment
- Are self-motivated, but take direction and coaching well
- Have the ability to work independently and as a team
- Are willing to assume ownership and responsibility for their work
- Have the ability to work in an energetic and creative environment and engage effectively with diverse personalities
- Are critical thinkers and problem solvers
knowledge and skills:
- Portfolio of creative concepts and samples across different media.
- Ability to judge and organize information for concept generation.
- Proven graphic design and production skills.
- Ability to sketch and render visuals is needed.
- Thorough understanding of printing processes.
- Works well with others.
- Well read, articulate and expresses self clearly and concisely.
- Self-confident and professional.
- Good sense of humor, high order of perceptively and intellectual curiosity.
- Self-motivated with a willingness to learn.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and meet deadlines.
- Communicates well with other department members and supervisors.
- Keeps abreast of societal and industry trends.
- Perseverant and flexible.
- 3-5 years working in the graphic arts advertising field, including a broad range of assignments.
- Retail advertising experience, interactive art direction and Macintosh experience desirable.
- Must have outstanding portfolio.
Outstanding benefits. Spawn Ideas pays a generous portion of each employee’s insurance premium for themselves and their families. Beyond the basics, employees can be reimbursed for participating in walk/run races, for park passes, etc. If in Anchorage, the office is located one block from the Coastal Trail (a popular ski/walk/run trail), and just blocks from salmon fishing right downtown.
In addition, Spawn benefits include being automatically enrolled in our ESOP (employee stock ownership program) plan, annual performance-based discretionary bonus, 401K, medical, dental, vision, paid vacation and sick days, company paid holidays and summer and holiday hours programs that allow more time with family and more time enjoying the outdoors.
Spawn Ideas is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We support diversity in the workforce. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for disabled individuals.